Most old residential have cast iron pipes as these were the very common materials for sewer and drainage applications in those days. But now you won’t find them in new residents as they have gone out of fashion.
Cast iron pipes were quite famous back then because of their solid body and durability. But they develop rust and cause leakage, which is the reason people now stopped using them and are opting for PVC pipes.
In case you still have cast iron pipes in your home and require cutting a part of them, then you should learn how to cut them with the right tool. So in this article, we will tell you how to cut cast iron pipe with an angle grinder smoothly.
What Is An Angle Grinder?
An angle grinder is a powerful tool, equipped with cutting wheels for polishing, cutting, and grinding. It can be used on all types of metals and you will get accurate and precise results by using it.
This powerful tool runs at an excellent speed up to 12,000rpm, which makes it easier in cutting rigid materials. It can be used for removing rust, cement, and flaking paint from metals.
Moreover, you can cut tile, pavers, also polish, sand, and sharpen with it. Using the angle grinder for removing rust and paint won’t damage the underneath metal. So, it is safe to use. You can perform various tasks by using this efficient and versatile tool.
Can I Use A Grinder to Cut Cast Iron Pipe?
Cutting cast iron with a grinder will bring good results as a grinder performs at a high speed. All you need to do is equip a suitable and powerful wheel like a diamond wheel to your grinder and start cutting.
Make sure the angle grinder you are using is robust and powerful enough to cut through tough material like cast iron. You cannot use a cheap angle grinder or wheels for cutting a tough and solid cast iron pipe.
With a powerful electric grinder and your skill, you can complete the cutting task quickly and easily without much hassle. So, we recommend using an efficient angle grinder to cut a cast iron pipe.
What Is the Best Way to Cut Cast Iron Pipe?
The best way to cut a cast iron pipe successfully is by placing it on a strong and stable workbench, supported by a bench vice. In case, if you need to cut a pipe situated in a pit or under your house, and then the situation will be different.
You can use a reciprocating saw to cut the cast iron. The process will be much easier and quicker, as reciprocating saws are quite powerful. You can also utilize a useful snap cutter.
But cutting cast iron pipe with an electric angle grinder will bring better results as a grinder helps in cutting materials accurately, even though the process might be a little time-consuming.
We know a cast iron pipe is quite sturdy, which means they are quite heavy. Make sure to secure the pipe with a clamp beforehand when you are cutting them so that they don’t fall after completing the cut.
How to Cut Cast Iron Pipe with an Angle Grinder?
The process of cutting a cast iron pipe with an electric grinder is fast and effortless. It will take less time and you will get precise results as well. So, let’s have a look at the steps of how to cut cast iron pipe.
1. Prepare the necessary materials: Before starting, you need to prepare the necessary materials required for cutting the cast iron pipe. You have to purchase an excellent and robust angle grinder, suitable diamond wheel, or metal cutoff disc to equip with the grinder. Assemble them properly and follow the instructions given in the manual.
2. Mark the section of pipe: The next step will be marking the part you desire to cut. You have to carefully mark the part with chalk or marker. Make sure to mark accurately as improper marking will result in an inaccurate cut.
3. Place the pipe on the workbench/table: After marking the piece of the cast iron pipe you like to cut, you have to place the pipe on a workbench or table to make it stable. Or if possible you can use a bench vice to secure the pipe and make it stable.
In case the cast iron pipe you desire to cut is vertically positioned or is located on-site, then you will require riser clamps to support it even after the cut is completed.
4. Wear the safety equipment: Before cutting the pipe with the cast iron pipe cutter, you have to wear protective equipment. You need to protect your eyes with safety goggles, wear steel-capped safety shoes, work gloves, flame-resistant work clothes, and a P2 or P3 respirator mask for safety. Since the angle grinder operates at a high speed, make sure to protect your hand while doing the task.
5. Start the cutting process: Now equip the angle grinder with a diamond wheel or metal cutoff disc, and then turn on the angle grinder. Place it on the marked part and make a groove in the region of the pipe so that the wheel can penetrate through a single point of the pipe. Remove the residues while cutting so that you can see the cutting mark clearly.
6. Results: After continuing the cutting process, if the pipe doesn’t cut off completely, then take a regular cold chisel and then drive it through the pipe to fully snap it off. Then check the cut whether it is accurately done or not.
Make sure to follow the steps carefully and do not try to do the steps without wearing any safety equipment.
Can I Replace Cast Iron Pipes with PVC Pipes?
Yes, you can replace cast iron pipes with PVC pipes, but you have to follow several steps. The first pace is to take away the lead from pipework to install service bushing successfully. Inserting service bushing into the newly cut pipe will help in transitioning it into PVC without any worry about future leakage.
Next, cut the PVC pipes with a hand saw, hack saw, or snap cutter. Do not cut or slice the PVC pipes with an angle grinder as the pipe will melt since the angle grinder is a hot and powerful tool. Use simple hand tools to cut them.
After cutting them, conduct a quick dry run and connect the pipes without using any glue or primer. This process will help you to know whether you require fixing any issues before joining them permanently.
If everything is ok, then connect them permanently with glue. You can also install clamps made of stainless-steel and rubber coupling to complete the task. Make sure to research the building’s pipe fittings beforehand and check the PVC pipes before fitting them.
An angle grinder is an efficient tool, which can be used for cutting various materials. If you equip it with good quality wheel or discs, then they will deliver even better performance. This tool provides accurate and quick results, so you won’t be disappointed by using it.
You can also try using a reciprocating saw too if you can’t use an angle grinder. But you will get a better cut by using a powerful and high-quality angle grinder. I hope this article on how to cut cast iron pipe with an angle grinder will help you in completing your job.